Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Animus

I have often wondered where people like Fidel Castro (a geriatric) get the energy to go on for hours straight perorating on every social injustice under the sky. I once saw a footage of Castro speaking in a crowd, declaiming against injustice while torrential rain was pouring. I read a psycho-babble article that said people like Castro refuse to grow up and enter the world of the adults, that is, the world of compromise between ideals and reality. Reading Eva Peron's grandiloquent La razon de mi vida, I got another explanation. She wrote:

I think now that many people become accustomed to social injustice in the first years of their lives. Even the poor think the misery they endure is natural and logical. They learn to tolerate what they see or suffer, just as it is possible to acquire a tolerance for powerful poison.

I think that, just as some persons have a special tendency to feel beauty differently and more intensely, than do people in general, and therefore become poets or painters or musicians, I have a special inherent tendency to feel injustice with unusual and painful intensity.

Can a painter say why he sees and feels color? Can a poet explain why he is a poet?

No comments: