Fellowship program for Fil-Ams
The Filipino-American Youth Leaders Fellowship Program is now accepting applications. Here are the application form (doc), the guidelines (doc), and the website.
The Filipino-American Youth Leaders Fellowship Program is an 8-week summer work program for Filipino-Americans who want to contribute to social development in the Philippines through firsthand exposure, experience and action.
Fifteen to twenty fellows that are bright, self-motivated individuals of Filipino heritage, who are proven and emerging leaders committed to ethical and effective leadership, will be chosen to participate on a summer training and work program in the Philippines. The objectives of the Filipino-American Youth Leaders Fellowship Program are:
* To make the fellows proud of their heritage by reconnecting them with their Filipino roots;
* To transform the fellows into advocates in the U.S. for the Philippines and Filipinos; and
* To foster a mutually beneficial exchange between the fellows, host organizations and host families.
The program includes:
* A series of workshops on the Filipino cultural identity; with visits to selected sites of historical and cultural interest.
* A meaningful, relevant work program with a host educational institution, a non-government organization, or a government agency. Fellows will be housed with a Filipino host family in their areas of assignment.
* Documentation by the fellow to enable him/her to impart the experience to other Fil-Ams in the US.
* Fellows, upon their return to the U.S., are expected to extend their fellowship by engaging in activities benefiting the program and the host organizations.