The Maningning Miclat Art Foundation, Inc. (MMAFI) announces the launching of the 2004 Maningning Miclat Painting Competition. Open to all young painters age 28 and below, the open art competition Grand Prize winner will be awarded a Ramon Orlina sculpture trophy and PHP 28,000.00 cash prize.
MMAFI, in cooperation with Shangri-La Plaza, will accept entries at the Shangri-La Plaza's Gallerie 828 at Edsa cor. Shaw Blvd., Mandaluyong City. Entries may be done in oil, watercolor, acrylic or mixed media. Three dimensional works are allowed, provided the final product is wall-bound. All artwork must be original and done within the period 2003-2004. Entries must be framed, with a minimum size of 45 cm x 60 cm and maximum size of 120 cm x 180 cm or equivalent area without the frame. The winner and the semi-finalists will be included in the exhibition/sale at Shangri-la's Art Plaza.
The Award is named after the late Maningning Miclat , a multi-awarded artist, trilingual poet and creative writer, translator and art instructor. She won the 1992 Art Association of the Philippines Grand Prize for her abstract painting, "Trouble in Paradise" while a BS Fine Arts student at the University of the Philippines. She had published a book of poetry in English, Filipino and Chinese, "Voice from the Underworld". Maningning was named one of the World's Top-rate 39 Women Poets writing in Chinese in an anthology published in Beijing.
For the 2004 Maningning Miclat Painting Award Contest Rules, email : email@example.com or call Shangri-la Events at 633-7851, loc 151/107. You can also log on at www.maningning.com .
RULES OF THE CONTEST :
1. The contest is an open art competition open to all painters, age 28 and below. A painter can submit only one entry.
2. Entries may be done in oil, watercolor, acrylic or mixed media. Three dimensional works are allowed, provided the final product is wall-bound.
3. Entries must be original and executed in 2003-2004.
4. Work which has been entered in another contest is not qualified for the award.
5. Work which has been exhibited earlier may be entered in the contest.
6. Entries must be framed. The minimum size is 45 cm x 60 cm and the maximum size is 120 cm x 180 cm or equivalent area, without the frame.
7. Each entry must have taped to its lower right hand corner the pen name of the artist, title of the painting, medium, size (width & height ) and the price if it is for sale. No artist signature must appear on the image side of the painting. Signatures may be covered with tape for the competition. Real name and pen name of the artist should be submitted in a sealed envelop together with a biodata, copy of birth certificate and a notarized declaration of originality and authenticity of authorship of the entry.
8. Entries must be submitted to the Gallerie 828, Art Plaza, 4th Level, Shangri-la Plaza, Edsa cor. Shaw Blvd. on September 14-15, 2004 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Late entries will not be accepted. The painter is responsible for transporting and submitting entries to and from the Shangri-la Plaza. The painter hereby releases the Shangri-la Plaza and the Maningning Miclat Art Foundation from any claims of damage to artwork due to storage or transport in connection with the competition.
9. Only one Grand Prize winner will be awarded. The prize consists of a Ramon Orlina Glass Sculpture trophy and P28,000.00 . The winner and the semi-finalists will be included in an exhibition/sale to open on the Award Ceremony on September 29, 2004. The winner and the semi-finalists will be notified before the opening. Due to space limitation, not all entries can be exhibited. The Board of Judges has the sole discretion to choose the paintings to be exhibited.
10. Paintings to be exhibited may be for sale. A 30% commission shall be retained on all sales during the exhibit from
September 17 -29, 2004 for the benefit of the Maningning Miclat Art Foundation and Gallerie 828.
11. All entries must be claimed on September 30 from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
12. MMAFI is granted the right to use the name and photo of the painters and the entries for free in any broadcast, telecast, print or electronic medium.
13. Forgery is anathema to the contest and MMAFI has the right of action against the author, if it may be later on discovered that said person is not the creator or owner of the winning work. The foundation shall not be liable to any court action if a third party files a case against the winner who forged the work of the said third party.
14. The Board of Judges shall have the discretion not to award any prize if in its judgment, no meritorious entry had been submitted.
15. MMAFI has the sole right to designate the persons who shall constitute the Board of Judges. The decision of the Board of Judges shall be final.